In New Zealand in 2004 a study was done looking at 169 women who received pre birth acupuncture given by midwives. Compared to local population rates there was an overall:
- 35% reduction in the number of inductions
- For women having their first baby this was a 43% reduction
- 31% reduction in the epidural rate
- Compared with midwifery only care there was a 32% reduction in emergency caesarean delivery
- 9% increase in normal vaginal births
The pre-birth protocols consist of weekly treatment for week 37, 38 and 39. The protocols are designed to:
- enhance optimal foetal position
- help the sinews relax at an even and appropriate rate, preparing the pelvis for labour
- help ripen the cervix
- help build the energy reserves of the mother
A special pre-birth package is offered.
A treatment can also be offered to turn breech babies (without the use of needles) and depending on the mothers condition a 40 week treatment may be recommended and induction by acupuncture can be done from week 41.
To find out if acupuncture can help you call Clare on 07889 143899, email email@example.com or fill in the contact form